Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Michael Jackson "Concert" In Jerusalem, Israel, 1984

The more that I travel the world, the more different types of people I encounter. Yet the more people I meet, the more I can acknowledge how much we have in common. I realized this at an early age when I spent part of my summer in Israel. I was 10 at the time and had already been to Europe, but Israel was much more exciting to me -- way more exotic. The people dressed differently, the food seemed unique, the music wasn't the same as it was at home -- even the buildings looked different. I'd never seen a mosque before until we visited The Dome Of The Rock in Jerusalem, and I was blown away by its beauty and intricate designs. My parents and I also walked the Old Walls Of Jerusalem, which were built in the 1530s. It was quite an experience to walk these walls which were so ancient and had so much history. As we made our way around the old city, I tried to imagine who'd walked the walls before me and what kinds of things those people had seen. What we saw were some incredible views of the city and glimpses of the different neighborhoods. What I remember the most, though, is when we passed by the Arab quarter. I'd been to extremely poor neighborhoods before; when I traveled cross country with my parents in 1982, we visited some of the Native American communities and their living conditions were pretty deplorable. But this poverty was at a new level. The people barely lived in what you could call a home; it was more like scraps of tin fastened together to form a hut-like dwelling. Out front, women wearing head-to-toe black fished through garbage cans searching for scraps of food. Yet as we passed this, we heard a sound from below. Music! And as we got closer, I realized that someone was blaring Michael Jackson's Thriller album. I couldn't believe it. This was 1984, the height of Thriller-mania. At home, my friends and I listened to this cassette tape almost every day, and knew the words to every song. Never did I expect to hear "Beat It" or "Billie Jean" in Israel, let alone in this neighborhood where the people barely seemed to have food. I never did learn how they managed to get a hold of a tape recorder and Thriller cassette -- I'm thinking that maybe there was one for the neighborhood and they all shared? -- but it blew my 10-year-old mind to think that I was listening to the same music as people who lived across the world in such a different environment from my own. I unfortunately ruined my own Thriller cassette when I attempted to play it backwards (rumor had it that if you did, you'd hear Michael whispering secret messages), but hearing his music in Jerusalem changed my perceptions of just how small our world really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment